There are a number of risk factors that can contribute to a person falling and often it’s not just down to age. Age does play a large part in risk of falling but there are other factors that can be modified with the help of Physiotherapy such as muscle weakness in the lower limb and balance.
The CSP (charted society of Physiotherapy) predicts that…
- 1 in 3 people aged over 65 will fall every year
- Equating to more than 3 million falls per year
- Half of those people will fall again in the next 12months
- Injury due to falls is a leading cause of mortality in people aged over 75 in the UK
So how can we help?
- Assessment – our physiotherapists can assess your balance, the way you walk and how strong your lower leg muscles are. The falls prevention programme provided is then tailored to your individual needs.
- Exercise based programmes – allowing people at risk to exercise in a friendly environment and to aim to reduce fear of falling.
- Balance exercises.
- Strengthening exercises.
- Advice on walking pattern and walking aids.
If you are concerned about falling and fear walking alone or without walking aids it’s important that you speak to a member of our team. We can help develop a plan to tackle these fears and return to a more fulfilled way of life.